Monday, June 18, 2012

around the farm

 Raspberries are almost ripe! The bushes are loaded this year, and the one ripe berry I found was sweet and delicious! The sun was just beginning to set as I took my walk, and the golden sunlight filtering through the lush raspberry bushes was incredible. Honestly, I think the summers in Oregon are so beautiful and pleasant that it makes up for the seven or eight months of grey and rain!
 The garden is looking lovely right now. Not quite in full bloom, but lovely nonetheless. I took a lot of pictures last night, as we will eventually have a data base with a picture and description of every plant we grow. This will be a big project, so I am working on the pictures as I can. I thought about buying a macro lens for my camera, but the one I really wanted was six hundred dollars. Yikes! Maybe if I were earning a living by taking pictures I would plunk down the money without a second thought, but I am not, and so I will just keep an eye out for the lens used somewhere.
 Love having roses in bloom. This time of year is so crazy busy for us that my house is often times not as clean and organized as i would like it to be. A vase of beautiful roses always seems to add a note of beauty and charm, even if the rest of the house is lacking in those areas! I have them in the (clean because I can't stand a dirty bathroom) bathroom, dining room, kitchen (which is also clean because i can't work in a dirty kitchen and also because my new stove is coming today and I am too proud to let the installer dude see a dirty house) and living room. I am planning to go see my mother this evening, and will take her a big bunch, as she loves roses and always had a beautiful planting of them.
And, just because I really like the looks of the silo in the late evening light, one more garden picture! Blue berries and blackberries will be ready soon, and the eldest farm child just picked the first batch of green beans this morning! Hooray for fresh fruits and vegetables! Green beans with a garlicky, Asian sauce are on the menu for dinner tonight, along with champagne to celebrate the new stove and the harvest season! On second thought, the two don't really sound good together- better save the green beans for tomorrow night.....

2 comments:

  1. I was at your strawberry U-pick three times last week! I couldn't get enough. Each time I left with 12 to 20 pounds of berries and it didn't feel like enough for our family so I came back a few days later. I love your farm and U-pick. I look forward to a great summer with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying the strawberries! They are really extra good this year! I need to get on the ball and get some for my family! I am looking forward to a great summer as well! Thank you for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete