Thursday, July 26, 2012

summer vegetables

We are moving in to peak produce season, with zucchini, beans, cucumbers, carrots, beets, and a few tomatoes available. I don't can many vegetables, preferring them fresh from the garden. I do pickle some beets and can tomatoes, maybe freeze some corn, but that is about it. I have cookbooks full of recipes using fresh vegetables-salads, quiches, vegeterian burritos, and so on. However, no matter how good those recipes sounds, I have yet to make one. I have discovered that (in my humble opinion) fresh vegetable are best one of two ways: Sauteed lightly in browned butter, or roasted with olive oil, coarse salt, fresh pepper, and several sprigs of fresh thyme. So simple, and very delicious. Everything is better with browned butter on it! The past few weeks, I have been sauteeing a mixture of potatoes, beans, zucchini, and carrots, then adding tomatoes at the end. With grilled chicken and a salad, a loaf of freshly baked bread, and cherry buttermilk cake or fresh berries with honey creme anglaise, summer meals are tasty and inexpensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment